Favourite Childhood Cartoons?

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by Boreas, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

There were so many! I'll list a few:

Transformers
    The opening theme for season one/first generation was so badass!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Radiation affected turtles with their radiation affected Japanese rat sensei, a talking brain from Dimension X and a love of pizza.

Defenders of the Earth
    Ultimate American space opera with major cartoon strip characters Flash Gordon, Mandrake the Magician, Lothar, The Phantom, and all their children. All standing guard against Ming the Merciless' various, dastardly plans, usually involving either the conquest or destruction of Earth.

Danger Mouse
    Anthropomorphic super spy.

Count Duckula
    Looking back, some brilliant, quirky satire. I saw some episodes recently and quite a few jokes would have gone over my 7/8 year old head. The humour just couldn't be drier or more droll.

Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors
    A science-fantasy, space opera quest-adventure. Unfortunately unfinished.

Thundercats
    Mostly a planetary romance, but with some heavy elements of space opera. The villain Mumm-ra, one of the baddest dudes that ever unlived!

The Real Ghostbusters
    This was such a great continuation from the film. I'd say it captured the zaniness and humour of the original perfectly and still managed to be quite dark at times.

Bravestarr
    A great science-fantasy, planetary romance with strong Native American aesthetics and a pure, frontier-style sensibility. Some of the individual episodes could be a little cheesy but, nonetheless, I used to love this cartoon.
    The animated movie, The Legend, that introduced the show:

Dungeons and Dragons
    Seriously great. I absolutely loved the adventures of this group of kids that find themselves in an inhospitable land of magic where they're used by the Dungeon-master to oppose Venger. Definitely a fave.

SDF-1 Macross
    Military space opera at it's best, like only the Japanese can do! Definitely way ahead in terms of animation compared to the rest of the world at the time. A continuous cartoon series.
    The English opening - same visuals, but without the Japanese song and a more 'American' sound:

Les Mystérieuses Cités d'or (The Mysterious Cities of Gold)
    Another fantastic, continuous cartoon series, with a recap of the previous episode in every subsequent one, and a historical informative section at the end of each episode. A French/Japanese co-production. A historical cartoon during the Spanish expansion into South America with a very strong science fictional underpinning. There's a youtube comment "I lost my shit as a kid when they found the golden condor." That is exactly how I felt! Brilliant mix of history, adventure, anthropology, ethical dilemmas and science fiction. One of the absolute best cartoons.

Les Mondes Engloutis (Spartakus and the Sea Beneath the Sea)
    A French production. Another continuous cartoon series, but this time a really surreal, far future, post-apocalyptic quest adventure. It was quite concept heavy - in hindsight, there was genetic engineering, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, anti-gravity technology, evolutionary divergence, a "Mad Max" type environment, etc. I remember some episodes being very, very strange, but it was always so damn compelling! These are available for sale as DVDs in French, but no subtitles or dubbing. I've checked about two or three times over the last 7+ years and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an English-friendly release. Love the intro music (both French and English versions).
    It seems some kind fan-translation group has uploaded the first episode in the original French, but with English subtitles:

The Legend of Prince Valiant
    Possibly the best cartoon series I have ever seen during my childhood. Based on Hal Foster's Sunday comic strip, this was a fantastic (albeit liberal) adaptation and featured spectacular voice actors (minus the three principal American voices). As the series continued, it introduced very nuanced, overarching story arcs dealing with a whole host of themes: right action, the meaning of justice and truth, ideological conflicts, new orders supplanting the old with all the attendant strife and discord, culture clashes. It didn't shy away from depicting violence, bigotry, and the dangers of uncontrolled ambition and vengeance. I have so much to say about this cartoon that I could probably dedicate a whole new thread for it. And my favourite and most enduring theme song out of them all bar none.
    The Legend of Prince Valiant Episode 1:

There are tons more, but the ones I've listed were definitely some of the more vivid cartoon series I remember. Which ones were your favourites?

Christophe likes this.
  2. Christophe

Christophe Full Member

You also watched Les mondes engloutis and Les cités d'or!?
    Then you also must have watched Ulysses 31?
    And maybe Goldorak, Capitaine Flam and Albator?
    I bought Les mondes engloutis on dvd, and Ulysses 31 as well. Pure out of nostalgia.
    And I want my sons to watch these series when they are old enough :).

3. Boreas

Yes! When I was around 9-10 years of age. Both of them English dubbed. Les cités d'or was one of the most magical and wondrous of all the cartoons I ever saw. Les mondes engloutis was one of the weirdest, but I was hooked.

I never saw Ulysses 31 as a child. Only some episodes later on in my twenties. Have never seen any of the others.

You should also get The Legend of Prince Valiant on DVD for your sons! I saw this when I was a little older around 12 (this would have been the same time when I started watching adult animation like Aeon Flux and The Maxx et al.), but I think this animated series stands supreme in my memory as the best children's cartoon show ever! It's because of this show that I tracked down most of the oversized reprints that Fantagraphics published of Hal Foster's Prince Valiant during my twenties. Although, I used to read them in the Sunday comics section of some of the newspapers that my parents used to buy.

Christophe likes this.
  4. Christophe

Christophe Full Member

I still like to sing along with the theme tune (in French) of Les cités d'or :).
    It was indeed a wonderful series, full of adventure, magic and wonder. And I really liked the golden condor.
    Les mondes engloutis was weird but that's what I liked about it. It stood out.
    I have read the Valiant comics/graphic novels but I have never seen the animaties series. Now I am curious to see what it looks like.
    Ah I remember when Æon Flux first aired on MTV! It was such a hype and buzz back then!
    And I totally forgot about The Maxx!!
    Were you born in the 70s Boreas? Just curious :).

5. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I adored Ulysses 31 with Telémaco and Nono.
    Mazinger Z was also one of my favorite heroes.
    Once Upon a Time… Man (Il Était Une Fois…L’Homme) and Once Upon a Time… Space, were also part of my staples during my weekends. However, by the time they produced Once Upon a Time… Life, I already had enough.
    What I found maddening was the waiting: one episode pro week wasn't near enough! I used to jump Saturday mornings in anticipation before the afternoon show.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Christophe likes this.
  6. Christophe

Christophe Full Member

Ulysses 31 was fantastic!!! I remember one particular episode where Ulysses meets Sisyphus.
    The tragic character carrying the rock to top of the mountain made a profound impression. Years later I learned about Greek mythology in school and then in high school
    I read the myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus. And somehow I always envisioned the character from that Ulysses epsiode.
    Mazinger Z looks like Goldorak but apparentely they are two different characters.
    I never watched Mazinger Z only Goldorak.
    Did you also watch Albator or Capitaine Flam?
    Oh I totally forgot about Il était une fois...! That was also one of my favourite series. I watched them all.
    I really liked the little professor character with the long grey beard.
    You're right: back in those days there was no internet and you had to patiently wait for next episode to air one week later.
    That made it very special and something to look forward to.
    I was also counting the days till every next episode! :)

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Diziet Sma

No, I didn't...
    I just remember enjoying Maya the Bee and Vicky The Viking. I also watched Around the World with Willie Fog and Dogtnian and the Three Muskethounds.
    Heidi, Girl of The Alps and 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother were also very popular although they were not my thing: more like a soap opera type of cartoon. Ages ago!
    Anyhow, for those on holiday, have a nice Easter! I'll try my hardest to enjoy myself.;)

8. Boreas

Yep, at the end of the 70's!
    Damn, I completely forgot about Dogtanian! That was another one that I and my siblings used to love to watch. Around the World with Willie Fog clicked something at the back of my head and after checking out the pictures, it feels like I could have seen some episodes, but I just can't be sure. The Indian looking tiger princess is the one that seems most familiar. I never saw the series Heidi, but there was a short film version that I'm familiar with.

Did anyone ever watch Galaxy Express 999 as a child, either the series or the film version? We got the film version from an older cousin, and we were so fascinated by it. It was our first anime experience and I would have been around 8.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  9. Diziet Sma

She was Princess Romy. I used to take my mums table clothes in disastrous attemp to look like I was wearing a sari.
    I never watched Galaxy Express 999.
    I have just remembered Calimero. He was brilliant! We still use the expression at home: you are such a Calimero!

10. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

Space ghost, X-Men, Batman TAS, Ren and Stimpy, Simpson's, teenage mutant ninja turtles, looney tunes, animaniacs, and anything not Hannah Barbara I may be forgetting.

11. Bierschneeman

Wait what age is the end?
    Because I watched a lot of Ralph bakshi starting age 11

12. Boreas

I guess whatever age constitutes childhood to you. I mean, I was still watching cartoons during my late teens and early twenties, but I wouldn't call that childhood (okay, maybe childhood of a sorts). For me, the early cartoon era ended around 12/13 years.
    Wha-? I only saw Bakshi films during my early twenties. Don't tell me you watched stuff like Fritz the Cat at 11!

13. Bierschneeman

Fritz the cat is more of a Robert crumb piece, and no, not that not coonskin or heavy traffic. But wizards, fire and ice, and American pop. Cool world followed soon after

14. Boreas

Well, sure, an adaptation of Crumb's comics, but still a Bakshi film. I think Fire and Ice is my favourite Bakshi film, although I also like Wizards. While Cool World isn't really all that good, there are moments in it that are fun (Who Framed Roger Rabbit? beats it out of the park). I should watch American Pop at some point. And how did you find his incomplete Lord of the Rings? Personally, I loved it! Loved the character designs, and the animation and motion was typically Bakshi fluid. Damn studios and their short-sighted cancellations of projects!

Now I feel like re-watching some of these.

15. Bierschneeman

Roger rabbit isn't bakshi, it's zumackis

Go to BFB I have a thread I'm reviewing all the bakshi feature films one by one.

16. Bierschneeman

I will say his lotr is only incomplete because the producers lied to him. They gave him two films, then made sure part one was a failure, first dropping it's funds, then marketing it to be a failure against his wishes

17. Boreas

I'm aware of that, but they're similar in terms of combining live-action with cel animation, thus my comparison. Animation was great in both films, but the Cool World's plot just wasn't very good.

18. Bierschneeman

Not really, bakshi utilizes rotoscoping, a process used heavily by Disney before they had money (snow white) and any poor animation studio, because it's considerably cheaper. Roger rAbbit was done with animating on the film or of the cels , a process exceedingly expensive, and actually making the film the most expensive animated film ever made at the time.

Your comparison still stands I'm not refuting it completely, just providing extra info.

19. Bierschneeman

Cool worlds plot....there isn't one, intentionally.

So bakshi wrote this dark script of a man who has sex with a toon, the resulting child is neither toon nor human, and is treated horribly by both sides (a real world theme) he resents his father for abandoning him in toon world and escapes with vengeance on his heart. He then goes through a psychopathic killing spree in the real world..

That's the script bakshi sold to paramount. Then paramount secretly rewrote the script and duped bakshi into unknowingly signing a contract to direct it. After the contract was signed they gave him the script, not one shred of his script was in it,so he refused to direct it and paramount threatened to sue him for breach of contract. So he had to direct it.

The new script was all about the heroes journey, a man wants so badly to be a hero he'd do anything. He travels to toon world and continues his journey to be a hero.

Bakshi then told his animators to just draw whatever you want, you'll get paid, and it will be in the film. They never saw either script and didn't know anything, these are the random doodles that invade the movie and disrupt the plot. Bakshi then tried inserting pieces of his plot into the film, but was found out and told to redo those pieces and forced to refinish the ending (which is why it makes no sense, and looks cheese, he made it as pulpy garbage as possible) meanwhile paramount was handing him rewrites and edits to the films script changing it from the second script to something else entirely.

Bakshi had cast drew Barrymore as the perfect heroine in the movie. But to screw with him (no other reason) they recast it as Kim basinger. Kim also rewrote the script, she was trying to make it a g rated family film so she could selfishly look good while news crews caught her showing her work to kids in her uncaring elitist charity work (only if cameras were rolling)

So. Bakshi as a final F U changed Kim's character to the villain, and named her hollywood...

That'll teach them. It bombed badly.bakshi essentially retired, and tried to walk away from animation entirely.

20. Bierschneeman

Just one man sabotaging his own film because he got screwed over every single turn.