Fantasy and Lycanthropy anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Literature' started by Diziet Sma, May 10, 2016.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Since I read Kazan and Baree, son of Kazan by Curwood in my childhood, I developed a kind of fascination with Wolves. Later on, I found werewolf mythology and lycanthropy literature alluring. However, finding a book worth reading, has proofed to be a very frustrating task.
    I have given up on a number of urban fantasy series that I have personally found far too plastic, predictable, flat and romantically cheesy.
    However, I have really enjoyed it Glen Duncan trilogy: The Last Werewolf, Tallula Rising and By Blood We Live. Duncan is powerful and visceral in his narrative. Deals with the moral contradictions upon man and beast find themselves with very beautiful and sullen reflections. One can't help anticipate a very bleak and "doomed" outcome, but I guess it comes with the territory of being a beastly creature... Not a happy reading though!
    Any recommendations following this line, would be most appreciated.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Well, you can try volume 2 of the Dresden Files, Fool Moon, which specifically focuses on werewolves. I don't know if you've read the Dresden Files before, but they're very light, slightly hard-boiled private eye stories featuring a wizard in Chicago. Light, humorous and can be fun, depending on your mood. They do get progressively more serious as the instalments continue (whilst still retaining that light version of hard-boiled, cynical humour). You wouldn't need to read volume 1 to enjoy Fool Moon.

I know I've come across other stories with werewolves, but they're not coming to mind right now. I'll get back to you on it.

3. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Melissa Snark? (But I haven't read them so don't know if they're along the lines of what you like.)

Diziet Sma likes this.
  4. Boreas

I remember now why werewolves were registering at the back of my head! Last year, I bought Martin Millar's The Lonely Werewolf Girl and forgot about it. Now, I read Millar's The Good Fairies of New York prior to that, and it was great, quite subversive urban fantasy. Short, fast paced, written in spare prose, lots of feuding Scottish and Irish fairies, car chases, drugs and alcohol, fairy vomit, punk music, cynical Central Park squirrels and a race riot in New York. Based on how much I enjoyed it (which was a lot), I got the other Millar book.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  5. Diziet Sma

Yes, I know the Dresden File. I have read Storm Front and and Fool Moon. Butcher is very agile and imaginative but as you have said they are light and somehow I can't get into the stories. I guess Butcher and I are not made for each other...

6. Diziet Sma

Thanks Jo, I have never heard of Snark but I will look into it.

7. Diziet Sma

I haven't heard of Millar. I have just checked the two tittles you gave me. I don't think The Lonely Werewolf Girl is what I had in mind but I will nevertheless download a sample. However, The Good Fairies of New York has definitely caught my eye. So much for trying to stick to one list/category! I should have known better...LOL

8. Boreas

Here's a short list of lycanthropic fiction: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/5-must-read-werewolf-novels/. Make sure to read the comments section where Glen Duncan has also been name-checked. I'll check out his trilogy.
    I've read the first five instalments, each with long breaks in-between. As I read them, I find them entertaining, but I almost have to force myself to pick up the next instalment. I've been told the series becomes mega epic in the later instalments, but so far, while there are little hints and foreshadowing of potentially grander things to come, it's still been in the set-up phase where important casts of characters are being introduced. Volume 5 was the first to deal directly with some of the repercussions of Dresden's earlier escapades. I think it's been a year now since I last read it.
    Hope you enjoy it. It's wickedly irreverent and with a great soundtrack. It's much too fast-paced to concern itself with characters, although you do get a good impression of all their eccentricities and those depictions are lots of fun. Definitely a plot-focused story, and it's perfect like that.

9. Diziet Sma

Regarding Butcher, I had the same issue. Kind of enjoyed it but had to push myself to finish it, so I could get on with a different book: not a good sign! I keep seeing great reviews about the series, and reader's positive comments are impressive. I guess sometimes when the shoe doesn't fit, it doesn't fit...
    Thanks very much for the link! I have already read most of them but found interesting some titles from the comment section, which I will check.
    B&N Top1choice:The Wolfman by Pekearo was a good read although the mystery was predictable and one dimensional. It wouldn't be my n1.

10. Diziet Sma

On a different note, have you read Octavia Butler? I have finished very recently Lilith's Brood trilogy and throughly enjoyed it and I was wondering whether her other work, The Patternist Series in particular, are as good.

11. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

You may want to read Neil Gaiman's, Only the End of the World Again... it's a short story that appears in his 'Smoke and Mirrors' collection.
    Difficult to describe, other than saying that you will not have encountered a werewolf story anything like it. It takes place in a seaside village in England, whose citizens are a bit odd... in fact the werewolf is the most normal and likable character for miles. And he's in more trouble than he knows. It's a neat mashup of Agatha Christie/HP Lovecraft.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  12. Diziet Sma

I have Smoke and Mirrors and home! I haven't read all the stories though. I will definitely read it later. Thanks!