Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by TomTB, Jun 16, 2015.

1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Just announced that Fallout 4 will be released in November. I adore this series, so I'm very excited about this, especially on PS4 .. I'm hoping it's bigger and better than everything done previously!

Fallout 4 given November 2015 release date - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33130350

2. btkong

btkong Administrator Staff Member

We'll see. I have my doubts it will actually be 'fun'. The developers know how to create a good sandbox, but to me, their version of a sandbox is just one with pretty stones and nice looking sand, but there is no real fun playing in it -- no story, no real plot. Just dull activities to do over and over.

I loved the original Fallout 2. I Even liked the kickstarter homage to Fallout 2 (Wastland), shitty graphics and all.

I found Fallout 3 duller than a butter knife. I know it's a different brand of 'rpg' than say Mass Effect or say the Witcher 3 though.

3. Butch Meathook

Butch Meathook Full Member

Fallout 1 and 2 are classics, unforgettable, but I'd say 3 and New Vegas were also amazing games. I thought the post-apocalyptic feel and the general atmosphere were overhelming, especially for a fan of the Fallout gameworld. The plots were indeed somewhat contrived , lacking subtlety - especially in New Vegas the ending was a mess. But the small random stories (like say the famous Dunwich building), the general gloom and creepiness (especially of Fallout 3 - the subway tunnels and ghouls, the vaults, etc.) are really special and make the games worth playing. I'd say my favourites are Fallout 2 and 3.
    I haven't had the chance to play Fallout 4 seriously, mostly because it lags on my current PC - I wonder why considering the graphics are not revolutionary or anything. The impression I got is predominantly negative - especially crappy is the biggest new addition - the ability to build your own house. I think this is uber-stupid. Everything is also much brighter and colorful... The new VATS system was alright - where the action is not completely stopped but slowly goes on. I cannot give a full opinion because I've played maybe about 3-4 hours so it might turn out to be a fine game after all. Anyone played it yet? Opinions?

4. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I've pretty much completed this now, actually. I've reached level 63 and have finished all the main quests and the majority of the side quests. There are still some of the repeating quests which probably just last forever, and I still haven't got all the bobbleheads, but I've taken it about as far as I can. I recon I'll still dip in and out of it for quite some time yet, as I imagine there are still a few things to find and do. I loved the ability to build and develop your settlements, it added a whole new dimension.

I've enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed Skyrim, so it's in my top 2 favourite games. A solid 10/10 from me!