Event Horizon a prequel to W40K?

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Okay, I've still not read any of the Warhammer 40K books and I've never played the game. I've had the Eisenborn omnibus for nearly two years now, so I really should think about starting it again. I do know enough about the premise (plus I've seen the one 40K animated movie) to think this theory is both fun and plausible.

Event Horizon (1997) was always a problematic movie for me. I was liking it until it went down a pseudo-mystical horror path that I was neither expecting nor wanting from the film. But now, thinking about it from the perspective of W40K, it might be more enjoyable. So, I'm going to be re-watching it in the near future.

Did any of you like Event Horizon? Or like this link between it and the W40K universe?

http://www.geek.com/news/is-the-1997-movie-event-horizon-a-secret-warhammer-40k-prequel-1658234/

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Last evening I watched this film. A good and an exciting start but with a very meh ending. The all powerful ship has no rules to conform to. Event Horizon can do as it pleases, so every outcome is possible. This is cheating in my view.
    I don’t know the first thing about W40K, so I can't comment on this point.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  3. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

Oh yeah, I remember that theory. It kind of makes sense, in that the "place" Event Horizon went when the drive was engaged is not too dissimilar to the Warp in 40k. On the other hand, I'd say Event Horizon goes for more effective horror than 40k ever managed.
    It's too bad the movie wasn't all that great. I read quite a lot of it was cut from the final release.

As for 40k books, I find most of them are guilty pleasures. The Eisenhorn books are alright, but a lot of black library stuff is just schlock working on their ultragrimdark setting. Some of the Horus Heresy books are pretty decent, like A Thousand Sons, Nemesis or Legion and some of the regular ones, especially written by Graham McNeill or Sandy Mitchell are quite good.

All in all, it's strange how 40k manages at once to be so incredibly childish, yet really enjoyable.

4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I haven't read any of the W40K books, so I can't say, but my impression has always been that horror was not their purpose. Like Elvira says, I also remember enjoying the film until the very specific horror/supernatural elements started to come to the forefront. There was a dissonance between what the film started out to be and what it turned into.

5. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

The Eisenhorn books attempt horror here and there. It's too bad really, since the setting lends itself wonderfully to horror, with its lovecraftian demons, inquisition and general hopelessness. Unfortunately this tends to take a back seat to badass space marine antics in most cases.

As for the film, yes. Long time since I've seen it. I liked the supernatural idea, because it's just that much more powerful after the movie made you believe it's a realistic story - but it also breaks immersion too much.