Does the Wool series get better?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by MorteTorment, Jan 9, 2017.

1. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Regular Member

Ok, so it's like this.

I read the first Wool short story a LONG LONG time ago, and it's possibly the best short story I've ever read.

Well, I finally gave the second book a shot, and dear god, it's possibly the most boring thing I've ever read. I don't care about fallout shelter bureaucracy, and I don't care about fixing pipes, and well, the first book was about escaping the Silo, and that was great. I'm all for reading about what life is like inside it, but it needs to stay interesting, not just give me a good ending.

Does the series continue with a focus on bureaucracy and keeping the place repaired, and continue moving very slowly, or does it get more interesting?

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

See, this is the kind of stuff I'd think would be integral to a post-apocalyptic story of this type, and it would keep my interest as much so as with the escape scenario.

Overall, I've heard conflicting opinions on Wool - some really like it and others not at all. I believe @TomTB read these a year or two ago and I think he really liked them.

3. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

The second book goes back in time to how the silo's came to be and why society is restricted within them. Then of course there's the escape from the silo and what happens to the escapee. Book 3 is kind of where the past and present (both storylines) come together.

I thought the trilogy as a whole was great .. some great characters who I really rooted for and sympathised with.

Like Boreas I've read some criticisms of it ... the majority seem to like it though. I really enjoy Hugh Howey's style of writing too, in this and other books of his I've read.

4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Couldn't help myself and bought Wool. It was on offer...:)

5. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Hi Tom. I'm glad you know about Wool because I'm confused about the reading order. I have the Wool Omnibus and it has 5 parts. When you say second book, are you referring to Shift, or to part two of Wool titled Proper Gauge? The five parts of Wool are referred to as books, not parts, on Amazon's description of the Wool Omnibus.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  6. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

It is confusing but the way I understood it was Wool has 5 parts. Then it follows Shift and Dust, each comprised by 3 parts. I think...

7. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I just bought the three kindle books - Wool, Shift and Dust. I wasn't really aware of the parts.

8. kenubrion

OK, you're referring to Shift. I ask because I also have a hard time staying with Wool, and the story of how they came to inhabit the silos in the first place might be more interesting. Thanks.

9. jon snow

jon snow Full Member

Hmmm I felt that Wool was the strongest of the 3. It's a good series overall. How far are you in @kenubrion

10. kenubrion

I still don't know if the how-they-got-into-the-silos story is a part of Wool, which I have, or the second book, Shift. I want the how they got there in the first place. Can anyone be specific about this? A part of the five Wool parts, or in Shift? I have Wool, after 20 pages it bores me so I stop every time, and I thought knowing how they got into the silo might help.

11. jon snow

jon snow Full Member

It doesn't specifically say how the thousands of people got into the Silos, but it does state why the Silos were built and the processes it went to get it done. (SHIFT)

Wool is really about the politics and the manipulation of the place that the really interesting part. The first parts with the old mayor etc is just a premise. They are not the main part of the story.

12. kenubrion

Thank you Jon, on to Shift then.