Do you read manga?

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by Boreas, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

So, I started looking into some manga titles yesterday and I have this creeping feeling that I might slowly get into another manga phase sometime soon. It's been about 3 years since I came off my last phase, so that means there should hopefully be many more scanlated volumes of some terrific works I was following previously.

I read volume 1 (of 2) of All You Need Is Kill by Ryousuke Takeuchi & Takeshi Obata which is adapted from Sakurazaka's novel and am really enjoying it. Obviously, not as in-depth as the novel, but it's interesting to compare the artistic interpretation between the manga and the Tom Cruise film adaptation, which can be considered a separate entity altogether.

If you do read manga, any favourite titles or particular sub-genres/themes you're drawn to? I'm a sucker for a very highly detailed historical manga.

2. ecgordon

ecgordon Well-Known Member

I haven't read any, and haven't read many comics/graphic novels either. I probably should know this, but I have to ask, is manga pronounced with a hard or soft g sound?

3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

A hard g.

If you haven't read any manga, I can recommend Osamu Tezuka's Buddha as a very good starting point. It's his fictional take (albeit with many fantastic and other invented elements) on the life of Gautama Siddharta and his eventual enlightenment under the Peepal tree. I bought them in their hardcover editions but ended up leaving them at a friend's house when I eventually moved back from Canada 10+ years ago. I went back to Toronto in 2011 for this same friend's wedding and was happy to see that they occupied a prominent spot on his bookshelf. He said it turned out to be one of the best comics he'd ever read and absolutely loves them. So, I have no regrets about leaving them behind.

Tezuka is basically the godfather of manga, and Buddha is truly one of the best I've ever read in the whole comics medium. His highly stylised illustrations are top notch and the English translation is absolutely excellent and makes for very fluid reading. To me, it easily rivals great works of graphic storytelling like Art Spiegelman's Maus or Alan Moore's From Hell & Miracleman.