Dance, Magic Dance (Labyrinth, 1986)

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by TomTB, Nov 28, 2016.

1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Post your thoughts once you've had chance to watch this truly remarkable, awe-inspiring, genre defining behemoth of a fantasy film.

I'll try to watch it this weekend, if I get the time.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Busy week! I have only managed half of Labyrinth so far, but I'm LOVING it... Will watch the rest this evening.

3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Coincidence. I also managed only half the movie last night. Will try to finish off the other half tonight before bed.

Initial thoughts: I frigging love the muppets. "Your mother is fragging aardvark!" is one of the best insults I've heard lately. My only prior experience with Jim Henson was with Farscape, but since this is his own movie, he's allowed himself free rein and really gone all out.

4. Diziet Sma

"You have no power over me" I think tomorrow I will say these words to my boss, just for giggles...

I have just finished Labyrinth and I have loved it.
    I have loved the puppets (well, who wouldn't?) they reminded me of the ones in Fraggle Rock program. Of course, when I saw the credits, I realised Jim Henson was behind both projects.
    Charming fantasy story, with a very gorgeous and very 80s David Bowie. The humour was witty and kept you engaged with the characters.
    I adore Sir Didymus, the chivalrous knight along with Ambrosious, the Fireys and of course the The Bog of Eternal Stench.

5. Diziet Sma

I think I'm going cucu here... I'm pretty sure @TomTB you have replied to this post and I was going to comment on it...o_O

6. TomTB

Hhhmm .. something fishy is going on ... must be down to the server issues Ben has been having the past couple days!

7. TomTB

Hoggle is the one character I've never really liked. I'm not sure if it's just because he betrayed Sarah, or if it's just because he doesn't have as strong as personality as the other characters, but every time I watch this he seems to piss me off.

Watching it again, the fight scenes once they reach the city have made me laugh out loud yet again. Sir Didymus, with his fearless demeanour in particular, is comedy gold:

"Throw down your weapons and I'll see you're all well treated" (whilst having 10 spears thrust in his face)

8. TomTB

I took a photo of my daughter a couple months back which reminded me of labyrinth ... I'm sure one day she won't thank me for sharing pictures like this, but what the hell :)

20160928201752324.jpg

Diziet Sma likes this.
  9. Diziet Sma

@TomTB. Your little darling is absolutely gorgeous! Ludo would be so proud of her. ;)
    I watched Labyrinth with mine (she is 10) and I was expecting some dismissive comments, laughs and giggles at the whole style and at the special effects. However, she loved it too and found big Ludo utterly irresistible
    I also thought that, despite being a 30 years old movie, it has aged really well. Even Bowie's gothic hair style, make up and shoulder pads fit in really well in the flamboyant setting . Well, Bowie could always pull almost anything off...

TomTB likes this.
  10. TomTB

She's ok I suppose @Elvira :)

Yeah Labyrinth is a timeless classic. The only things that have aged a touch are the sound effects and the music. But saying that they add to the ambience of the film. I have Dance Magic Dance on one of my rock music play lists ... it's like a little flower amongst a mountain range!

11. TomTB

His shoulders ain't the only thing he's got padded in this film! ;)

Diziet Sma likes this.
  12. Gideon Marcus

Gideon Marcus Full Member

I think that's all Bowie, my friend.

We watched Labyrinth in the theater for the 30-year reshowing. Then we all went home and watched the astounding making-of documentary included with the DVD. Great, great stuff. RIP, Starman. :(

13. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Yay! Labyrinth rules!

TomTB likes this.