Consultation about books likes

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Sebaalco, May 3, 2018.

1. Sebaalco

Sebaalco Full Member

So after reading Roadwork by S King, and disliking the following novels I read so far, I finally realized that my thing is definitely stories featuring troubled characters facing chaos, going into wat or whatever other tragedy the author brings out. If you have read this book, great. If not... Barton Dawes is a grieving guy who lost both his two children, separates from his wife and now is facing losing his house because of the extension of highway 784. No spoilers, he just goes mental and attacks everyone and everything. The emotional way in which King describes the violence is just astonishing. I would like to know if you guys could recommend me novels with this kind of plots. They are really enjoyable to me

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Sebaalco, I haven't read this book by King. My question is, do you also enjoy the hellish vortex of violence in psychological crime thrillers? In this genre, the focus would be more on catching the bad guy with a very colourful display of frenzy by a psychopath.

Also, do you like lycanthropy? There are some excellent books with nasty wolves dealing with the horror of their nature and their bloody consequences.

3. Sebaalco

Sebaalco Full Member

Yes, that type of plot is the one thar suits best for me. I havent looked for lycantrophy, but Im open to any title/author you suggest. Also, I would recommend Roadwork but Ive seen it has terrible reviews in Goodreads and that's what baffles me the most. I thought it was a wonderful piece of work

4. Diziet Sma

@Sebaalco
    I don't read much horror. Psychological crime fiction with extra violence: I think to remember Jo Nesbø's The Snowman (Harry Hole) was gruesome as far as the descriptions of the crimes were concerned.
    Then, check the following in case any catches your eye:
    • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter #1) by Thomas Harris
    • American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
    • Ravenous Series by Ray Garton
    • The Rats (Rats Series) by James Herbert
    • Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite
    • The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker.

5. Sebaalco

Sebaalco Full Member

Thanks! Cant believe I still havent read Psycho

6. Diziet Sma

No worries! Do let us know what you end reading in the end. By the way, there are some serious sales for crime and horror here.