Celtic Fiction

Discussion in 'Other Literature' started by Boreas, May 7, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Can anybody recommend good historical novels featuring the Celts? I've read a little bit about their origins and culture recently and that's piqued my curiosity to sample some fiction as well. I'm not looking for any specific setting, as long as it features the Celtic people.

2. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I can recommend an author calle Ali Isaac for Irish Celt historic fiction.

3. Boreas

I checked out Ali Isaac's novels and while they do seem interesting, they lean towards fantasy and I was looking for something non-speculative. I did manage to find one or two non-speculative, historical novels but I can't remember where I noted the authors/titles down. Will post them next time. Thanks for the recommendation though, I've made a note of Ali Isaac for when I might some some fantasy with Celtic fiction.

4. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I forgot, Edward Rutherfurd does Ireland in a couple of books. He's pure Historic Fiction.

5. Boreas

@Alicia, I finally got some of the Celtic, historical fiction novels that I had noted down earlier. They are Pauline Gedge's The Eagle and the Raven, Morgan Llywelyn's Druids and Norman Spinrad's The Druid King. Have you ever read any of these? Of these, I'll be starting with Pauline Gedge's work on Boudicca first.

6. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I haven't read any of those, but will be interested to hear what you think of them.

7. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

@Boreas, did you finally read any of the three books? If so, what did you make of them? I have checked them and except for Spinrad’s The Druid King, they are out of print. I guess I could find them second hand if you recommend them.
    What about Ali Isaac? it seems to me a bit geared towards YA readers...

8. Boreas

Unfortunately, no. My reading has been on a low ebb this whole year. I'll definitely let you know when I start on them and how I find them. Although, I feel quite confident that I will like all three.

9. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I'll just call out Peadar O'Guilin's The Call (ha! see what I did there...?) It is fantasy but it deals well with the Sidhe legends.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  10. hrafnwasser

hrafnwasser Well-Known Member

I know this is a late reply to this thread but my advice would be to go one of the sources; Sioned (pronounced shon-ed) Davies's translation of Y Pedair Cainc y Mabinogi - The Mabinogion (Oxford World Classics) is a brilliant place to start. This translation is vivid and modern yet faithful to the spirit of the ancient work.
    I could go on... better I leave potential readers to look for themselves.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. Boreas

Thanks! I had noted down The Mabinogion when I was initially looking into Celtic literature, but had decided to go for more contemporary fiction first. I definitely do intend to read this, though.