Blog Posts

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, May 20, 2015.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

This is the impression I also had. There is one main English Bookstore in town, for those who want to avoid translations, and F &SF sections are pretty much mixed up. Every time I go there, the female customers tend to hover closer to Fantasy side of the shelf.
    As for female readers, both Fantasy and SF forums are mostly male predominant, in particular the SF one, but about this point I guess it is also down to the medium per se and not so much due to the genre it deals with.

It makes sense. I have always enjoyed battle descriptions, and although I'm very new to SF, I have read since my teens many war novels.
    However, I can do without them in order to love a novel. I cannot do without a strong character development to truly love a book.

This is the Catch 22, where are those 50% of females SF reader who are not, at least, having a go with new female SF authors? it is equally disappointing to feel you have wasted your money on a book written by a male author than by a female one...

jo zebedee likes this.
  2. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I think - if we want a diverse genre - supporting female writers is critical to that. But I would say that ;) (but I also don't support those who choose not to read men instead. It's about reading widely.)

3. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

4. Diziet Sma

Absolutely, why limit yourself when you can pick the best of both?

5. TomTB

6. TomTB

7. TomTB

8. TomTB

9. TomTB

10. TomTB

11. TomTB

12. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Ha! @Elvira - I hit an absolute roasting for my blog above on twitter today. People read it as me saying women never wrote sf. Since I'm moving from a Bujold to Pat Cadigan I had to smile (and resist the urge to respond and get roasted further.)

13. Diziet Sma

This usually happens when people actually don't bother to read a text fully and stick to headers or just follow other's comments... Bla, bla, bla! :p

14. TomTB

15. TomTB

16. TomTB

17. TomTB

18. TomTB

19. TomTB