Best Arthur C. Clarke Novel?

Discussion in 'Arthur C. Clarke' started by Kanly, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

What do you think is the best novel Clarke wrote?

This is a hard one since I love almost all his stories. I'd have to say it's a three way tie for me between Childhood's End, Rendezvous with Rama and The City and the Stars. I really don't want to have to choose between these.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

My favourite is Rendevouz with Rama as this is the only one I have read by him. ;) I loved its unsentimental characterisation. It was factual and an extremely engaging story. It also felt bizarrely plausible, which in my view proves how talented Clarke was.
    I have already bought The City and the Stars and Childhood’s End.

3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Those are excellent choices. For me it's probably a tie between 2001: A Space Odyssey and Childhood's End. I read 2001 first, and it made such a massive impression on me. I always credit Asimov and Clarke as the authors who first truly expanded my imaginative horizons on an adult level and that initial 'sense of wonder' has never really left me.

You'll find these to be very different from Rendezvous with Rama. They are not at all the unsentimental, hard SF type of novel that RwR was. TCatS is pretty much pure fantasy. In fact, its predecessor from which it was revised and which I recently read, Against the Fall of Night, is a science fiction fairy tale. It can only really be enjoyed if read as a fairy tale. CH is also quite mystical.

Diziet Sma likes this.