Authors to follow on twitter

Discussion in 'Comments/Feedback' started by TomTB, Aug 9, 2015.

1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Post here SF authors for us to follow on twitter!

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

A 'new' author I've come to like and would recommend to follow on Twitter is the Irish Conor Kostick. Check out his first novel Epic for some fun juvenile science fiction with a decidedly fantasy flavour.

jo zebedee likes this.
  3. Boreas

Also, Karl Schroeder.

4. TomTB

I followed Kostick, and then bought a 6 book boxset of his for 99p on Amazon. On your head be it ;)

Boreas likes this.
  5. Boreas

6 book boxset? I thought he'd only written 4 books. The Avatar Chronicles trilogy and one other. Well, at 99p the well-being of my head is pretty much assured however you end up finding the books, but if you'd let me know I could have sent you the first volume of the trilogy to sample.

6. Boreas

Did you get a chance to check out the two reviews on the blog before you decided to buy?

7. TomTB

I bought Eternal Voyager Books 1-6 boxset. Sorry, no, it was a spur of the moment purchase based purely on the fact that it was 6 books for 99p. I will read the blog reviews soon though!

8. Boreas

Is BSFB already following Peter Watts? I like this guy, not just the novels I've read, but I especially enjoy his extremely well-informed opinions and droll sense of humour.

9. TomTB

I don't think he's on twitter. Not that I can tell, anyway.

10. Boreas

I think you should also add authors who write fantasy for BSFB to follow, not just pure SF authors. For example: China Mieville, Ursula K. Le Guin, Peter Newman, Lois MacMaster Bujold, Mark Lawrence, C. J. Cherryh, etc.

11. TomTB

You've got a good point :) I'll get adding some authors who get involved with the whole F/SF crossover. S'pose I should add Joe Abercrombie too thinking about it.

12. Boreas

Also: Steven Brust, Emma Bull, Charles de Lint, Steven R. Boyett, A. A. Attanasio, David Zindell, Glen Cook, Mary Gentle, Austin Grossman, Ursula Vernon, Sergei Lukyanenko, Martin Millar, Tim Powers, Chris Wooding, Ferrett Steinmetz. Scott Bakker, Carol Berg, Stephen R. Donaldson, Dave Duncan, Steph Swainston, Judith Tarr, Ian Tregillis, Dan Simmons, Stephen King, C. S Friedman, Martha Wells, Ken Liu, GRRM, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Michael R. Fletcher, Nicola Griffith.

I think just go ahead and add many fantasy authors, too: Patricia A. McKillip, Ellen Kushner, Janny Wurts, Neil Gaiman, Susanna Clarke, K. J. Parker, Tad Williams.

More SF authors: Ian MacDonald, Paul J. McAuley, C. A. Higgins, Elizabeth Moon, Cory Doctorow, Linda Nagata, Justina Robson, Neal Asher, Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (they author the Liaden books together), Scott Westerfeld, Connor Kostick.

I won't be bothered if you remove Ernest Cline.

TomTB likes this.
  13. TomTB

Is that all you can think of? :)

Seriously though, a load of them aren't using or aren't particularly active on twitter. The ones who are active (fantasy authors) we follow (via the authors list) on the BFB account in any case, and the way I use the two accounts there's no point me adding them to the corresponding list in the BSFB account.

14. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Jennifer Wells and Becky Chambers are both fairly active. Also, Kameron Hurley does a lot of thoughtful posts, I find Peadar O'Guilin good fun. There's also a new up and coming sf author on @joz1812 :p who mostly tweets links to her blog...

TomTB likes this.
  15. TomTB

This joz character sounds like one to avoid! Thanks for the tip off.
    (;))

Boreas and jo zebedee like this.