Asking for Suggestions

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Phylangan, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Phylangan

Phylangan New Member

Hey guys and girls,

I'm new here and I hope I don't break any rules. I was hoping to find some nice, experienced, sophisticated people, that could give me a few suggestions/recommendations.

I recently started reading sci-fi novels and I kinda liked it but mostly found rather thin books with light-hearted stories.

So what I'm looking for is a sci-fi world, which can be darker with violence and sex and such stuff (not absolutely necessary but I wouldn't mind it at all, like Game of Thrones in space :D). I would also really love to read a great story with plottwists, great characters and so on. I don't mind what the actual story is about, I'm really open to everything here.

Oh and........the longer the book (or even the book SERIES) the better. A book smaller than my master thesis is a piece of garbage not a book. Sorry, not sorry. :)

Well, that's it, thank you very much. Kindest regards to all of you

2. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! Glad you popped over from BFB :)

Despite not liking it myself, I think you might like (based on your post) Altered Carbon (& its sequels) by Richard Morgan. It's the best I can come up with based on Game of Thrones in space ;)

Edit: AC is fairly dark with immoral characters, hence the recommendation / comparison with GoT.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  3. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I'm also new but here are a couple of suggestions (no particular order):
    1. Steven Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen
    2. The Expanse series
    3. Eon and Eternity by Greg Bear
    4. Foundation by Asimov
    5. Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun
    Enjoy!

4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Hi @Phylangan, for something dark with lots of violence and graphic sex, @TomTB's suggestion of Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon if absolutely spot on!

I've only read Leviathan Wakes, which is the first instalment of The Expanse series, but I think you will enjoy it and its sequels. They are very easy to read with short chapters and fast pacing, and they should give you plenty of twists and turns in the plot as the series continues. Plus, there are something like six volumes already out, so plenty to read. It's not A Game of Thrones in space exactly, but it should offer lots of action and political intrigue. From my initial impression, The Expanse is a good, introductory friendly science fiction series. A little generic, but decently done.

For something more complex in terms of plot, rigorous world-building and characters, I'd suggest Ian McDonald's Luna: New Moon. It doesn't have the kind of gratuitous violence like you'll find in Altered Carbon or in A Song of Ice and Fire, but it is most definitely very harsh. The explosive and literally breath-taking opening scene is essentially a metaphor for the entire story. The overall plot regarding the corporate/legal/political conflicts is very much like something James Clavell would write if he had written science fiction instead of his historical novels. Actually, if you don't mind historical fiction, then James Clavell will give you all the epicness of A Song of Ice and Fire and more in his novels like Shogun, Tai-pan, King Rat and Noble House. These are all very fat books so they'll keep you occupied.

And there's Frank Herbert's Dune! There are six original books by Frank Herbert, and he was in the initial stages of producing the final volume but he passed away before being able to write it. If you keep an open mind, you'll get sucked into this story. This series is slightly heavier reading though because of its various, overarching themes, and especially the fourth book, God Emperor of Dune, in which the Atreides cycle finally ends.

5. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy if you want something 30 times longer than a master's thesis.