Aren't you on Wikipedia?

Discussion in 'Writing' started by bzipitidoo, Feb 14, 2017.

1. bzipitidoo

bzipitidoo Full Member

Hey folks. Popped back onto this website today, and am feeling my way around.

So it seems a fair number of the members here are SF authors? If that is so, I thought I might try to find out a little more about you, and turned to Wikipedia for info. So far, I've batted 0 out of 6 at finding any Wikipedia articles about anyone here:

Jo Zebedee
    Jack Brewhouse
    Ian Martyn
    Robert Eggleston (there's an artist who does SF/Fantasy, Bob Eggleston)
    Nick Edwards Nixon (there's a photographer named Nicholas Nixon)
    Royce Sears

Well then, you're aspiring authors? At least some of you have your own websites.

Maybe getting on Wikipedia has gotten harder? It has been 15 years since I last contributed anything, and I don't know what may have changed in that regard.

2. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

It's actually very hard getting on it and if they think you try to fake your way onto it they'll boot you off forever ;) That's all I know, really :)

3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'm guessing you require some minimum measure of success in terms of public awareness of your person, or some requisite accomplishments in the field or endeavour you profess to belong to. I don't exactly know what that would entail for self-published writers. Having published at least one book through Amazon? More than one? Some particular sales ranking and positive reviews? Reviews or interviews by better known publications of the field?

I would have thought that anyone could make up their own page on Wikipedia, but I now see the absurdity of that, especially after what Jo's said.

4. jo zebedee

IMG_0282.JPG
    A friend of mine, a well regarded and critically acclaimed writer of several books inc some with the big publishers (Stephen Palmer) can't get listed despite others trying to list him. So, I think the criteria must be substantive.

For now, I'll content myself with this :D (it's a map of the uk made up of sff writers - I'm the posh Co Down coast allegedly)

5. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

6. jo zebedee

Boreas likes this.
  7. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

What's the title of your Wikipedia article?