Any reading highlights for 2016?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Surprised no one's put up a thread like this yet and we're already more than halfway past the last month of the year!

What works did you like the most (or least) that you read this year?

I've read less than I expected and while there were definitely a few books I liked, the two that spring to mind immediately as the most enjoyable (meaning, I couldn't stop reading) were:

All You Need Is Kill (2004, English trans. 2009) by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, a military SF novel
    The King's Daughter (1974) by Suzanne Martel, a French-Canadian historical novel targeted at juveniles

I also really enjoyed Luna: New Moon (2015) by Ian McDonald for its depiction of a very unique and complex and very brutal laissez-faire system of economics in a weird amalgamated rule by aristocracy/oligarchy on the moon. I think the sequel has been released, so I'll have to pick that up.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

In SF I have enjoyed the most:
    • The Xenogenesis Trilogy by O. Butler
    • The Faded Sun Trilogy by C. J. Cherryh
    • Up the Walls of the World by J J Tiptree
    • Dune by F. Herbert
    Historic Novel:
    • Hunting the Ghost Dancer by AA Attanasio
    • *Edit* I forgot to add The Song of Troy by C McCullough.
    There are other books but they are not english tittles.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  3. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I, too, enjoyed Luna: New Moon and will get Wolf Moon this year (I had the pleasure of hearing Ian read an excerpt earlier this year and it sounds great).

I also adored The Martian. I quite liked Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time and would have loved it if cut by half. I'm not your girl for padding....

Oh and I enjoyed Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen but would not recommend reading it before the rest of the Vorkosigan series. But it's a very nice reflection on both aging, and on Cordelia.

4. ofer

ofer Regular Member

As far as SF books go, my 2016 highlight was reading everything by Richard Morgan. Great books, despite the author's tendency to whip up really expicit sex scenes.

I also adored Willful Child by Steven Erikson. A superb (and hilarious) Star Trek parody.

Otherwise, also enjoyed Last Call by Tim Powers. Great combination of mythology, weird stuff and poker.

Boreas likes this.
  5. Boreas

@ofer, you also read his fantasy? I've been thinking of picking those up since I've read and enjoyed all his science fiction. How were they? And did you like Market Forces? I think that might be one of my favourites by him.

6. ofer

ofer Regular Member

I read his fantasy series about a year ago. It was good, but not as good as his SF.

I really liked the first book in the series (despite an infamous sex scene which as far as I recall, made @kenubrion drop the book). However, in books 2 and 3 there were a few deus ex machina episodes - Morgan would put his MC in an almost impossible situation, and then level him up in a metaphysical way in order to get out of jail. Despite that it was a decent series, just not as good as I thought it would be after the first book.

Market Forces was really cool. Loved the way they solved conflicts - the car dueling scenes were awesome. In terms of story, though, it was a little thinner than his other books (thought the characters were deeper in Black Man). I think I read somewhere that he originally wrote it as a short story and later on rewrote it as a novel.

Boreas likes this.
  7. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

By far my favs were Neal Stephenson's Seveneves and even better, The Baroque Style. The latter is more historical fiction to me, and relies on alchemy to be science fiction.

Boreas likes this.
  8. Christophe

Christophe Full Member

If you are like me and you are obsessed with books, libraries, reading, book collecting, reading culture and you like a very special kind of fantasy then I can recommend the Dreaming Books novels by Walter Moers:
    Optimus Yarnspinner (Hildegunst von Mythenmetz in the German text) is a lindworm who inherits his authorial godfather's possessions, including a perfect story written by an unknown author, in search of whom he travels to Bookholm, a city devoted to literature above labyrinthine catacombs containing many valuable books, among various monsters and perils.

Boreas likes this.
  9. Boreas

Looked it up and sounds great. Is this is a general recommendation or were these your most memorable reads last year?

10. Christophe

Christophe Full Member

Both :).