A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle #1)

Discussion in 'Ursula K. Le Guin' started by Diziet Sma, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Once upon a time, there was a wizard called Ged forged from pride and fear, and who later turned to courage and humility...

AWoE is traditional fantasy without concession, and it reads as such, as a story that happened a long time ago, in a remote, magical world. As Dytler99 rightly said, it is not Harry Potter. Well, as I am not a HP fan, it suited me just fine.
    Le Gun is an excellent narrator who loves to play with concepts and words. Her prose is beautiful, and she creates a world infused with a rich and complex mythos. She does not dwell on it nor explains it in rigour. She does not provide the reader with a detailed magical universe; she values more the overlaying premise of her story rather than the minute details where it unfolds.

Wittgenstein said: "the limits of my language mean the limits of my world" and Le Gun plays cleverly with this idea: the power of words, the power of naming and consequently the power of understanding oneself.

Coincidentally, I finished AWoE the day her passing was announced. What a better way of celebrating Ursula K. Le Gun's life than reading, enjoying and interpreting her work.

2. bzipitidoo

bzipitidoo Full Member

Saddened to learn this morning of Le Guin's passing last week. I read the Earthsea trilogy 30 years ago, and the later books in that series when they came out in paperback, then some of the Hainish books more recently, and they all stood out as excellent.

Le Guin was a fierce defender of copyright, the one position of hers with which I do not agree. Got into an argument with Doctorow over his use of some of her words. Barring changes to copyright law, her works go out of copyright on Jan 23, 2093.

TomTB likes this.