A good pen name

Discussion in 'Writing' started by Jack Brewhouse, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

I'm not happy with my pen name, 'J.Grey.' I like the name, it does the right thing in that it's easily memorable but there's just too many people out there using variations of it. My work is drowning in a sea of ambiguity.
    So, my thoughts are that I need something a little more unique but easy to remember and maybe something with a clever little joke attached.
    Any suggestions or thoughts would be welcome.

Jack (maybe not for long)

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Would like to help you come up with something spiffy, but I'm really bad at this kind of thing. Case in point: all I could think of was H. E. Grey or E. G. Hott. Picard's favourite drink.

3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Well, I was thinking about it while driving, when I realised I was playing with “Grey”in my head but in different languages: gris, grigio, grau, caesious, griseus. I was then thinking of white/grey barked trees (aspen, abedul) , grey stones (drusy, espinela ). It could be an animal you like, the name of a planet, a star (Giedi), a mythological figure with “G” (Gelus, Geryon), a drink you like perhaps…?
    Mars Gris, Jack Espinela, Mercurio Grey, J. Jupiter, Gin Grau, Gelus Grey, Geryon Gris, Jack Giedi … and then, you might as well forget all I have said and go with Boreas’ suggestions. :)

4. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Mercurio Grey has a nice ring to it :)

I can only think of vulgar pen names, so I'll bow out at this stage :)

5. Jack Brewhouse

One of my characters is called, "Red Marks" and I would definitely jump on that if I hadn't used it already . A friend at work suggested 'WB Aldo' because I have no hair and he likes to shout, 'where's Baldo?' at me every time he sees me. Another was 'Jack J Jackson' and 'Rudd Crunch' which I quite like the sound of. Grey isn't my real name so I don't really have to stick with it.
    I'm actually liking the suggestions so far. Really like the Trek references and Tom, vulgar is fine by me. The worst suggestions I've had so far is 'Hasegowa Syphillis.'
    My favourite animal is the mighty weasel so 'Ermine' might be good. My family name is horrible, just horrible and I don't really want to use it.

6. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Just Horrible Grey, Esq

Boreas likes this.
  7. Jack Brewhouse

I see what you did there...

Boreas likes this.
  8. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Thejertan Roontle

9. Jack Brewhouse

Well, I now have my new name. I'm re-launching myself after Christmas in my shiny new persona. I met Chris, my business manager/friend/godfather of my son and we got chatting about it. He's a management consultant and represents everything from a Russian pizza company to a Cambodian pop-star. I mentioned a new name and he just started laughing and came up with the perfect thing right off the bat. My name is now (drum roll...) Jack Brewhouse. It's the name of the coffee shop we meet at every week and it's got zero references on Google so it was very easy to find. I've bought the domain and we're setting up emails, social media and a website all connected.
    After christmas I'll have my website up and running with 4 short stories and 2 free novels available. I'll bring over all the fiction work straight away and migrate the motorcycle books in few months, maybe. They're actually selling pretty well on their own so I might just leave them there.

Boreas, TomTB and Diziet Sma like this.
  10. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Nice pen name! :) Sometimes inspiration comes from the most unexpected of places, huh?

11. Jack Brewhouse

Thanks. By New Year I should have the website up and running with two free short stories about the greatest ever sci-fi heroes, Rob and Dave (one of whom delivers towels and the other is ginger,) a slightly late Christmas story and a few other shorts. Another month or so and the Hawk Eye site should be running, all my fiction work will be shoved over to Amazon for .99c but the Hawk-Eye stories will also be available for free download on the site, there's two novels so far. So loads of free stuff and cheap, poorly-written garbage for sale too.

12. Jack Brewhouse

...This is taking forever! The website will be up by February 10th, but there will be free content before that. The first Hawk-Eye story is being edited now and the second complete novel (which will be free) is just finished with the first beta read. Apparently (and rather against the odds) there are no obvious plot-holes and everything makes good sense. The new logo is done and the book-covers are being updated. The new versions will be on Amazon by the second week in January and I'll be back, begging for reviews from everyone. I'll put them on free for a week first, of course.

13. Jack Brewhouse

Sadly that's a very naive opinion. The entire thing is a package. You're saying I'll be judged purely on my content and yet I have to get people to look at what I'm writing before that can happen. The way I do that is by having a package that includes a name that is easy to remember and simple for Google search to find and cover-art that makes a point about what the book is about.