2016 the worst year? Nonsense.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boreas, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Everywhere on the internet I see hashtags and memes about how 2016 has been the worst year ever. Why? Because so many celebrities have died.

It seems to me that every time some famous person dies these days, people who probably hardly cared for them, or likely didn't even know their music properly or what have you, just come out with this strange outpouring of grief through hashtags and memes and act as if their favourite person in the whole world has died. I sometimes doubt they'd care this much for the deaths of their own grandparents.

This celebrity culture sickens me. These twats have no sense of perspective. 2016 the worst year ever? They can't wait until 2017 starts? Sure, no more deaths in 2017. Fucking morons.

If you're living in Aleppo, then yeah, I understand. If you're living in any of those parts of the world afflicted with mass hunger, then yes, it's been a terrible year. But most of these people complain on the internet if their new, expensive Galaxy smartphone that they got as a present isn't exactly the colour they wanted. Or if they got a Playstation 3 instead of 4.

Celebrity culture and its partner, social media, have completely disenfranchised these people from real concerns and values. They're obsessed with superficialities and perceptions. And bloody celebrities. So, yeah, I've always loved Star Wars since I was a child, but I really don't care that Carrie Fisher has died.

2016 has been an average year. Even a good year. The west is waking up to the curse of relativism and multiculturalism propounded by certain ideologues for the last 60-70 years. Living standards are higher than they have ever been all around the world. Even the Panda population is growing.

Rant over.

2. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

Mind traps: "victim" and "martyr" are two common ones. Highly contagious!
    ¬°Que vivan los Pandas! :)

3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

You mean the "pity me, pay attention to me, I deserve privileges and constant handouts because I'm a victim of something or the other, and, by the way, you're a racist for suggesting otherwise" card? Yeah, it's a virulent mental illness for sure.

4. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

Genau!